Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Echeveria 2 and Echeveria 3

This 12x16 oil on panel is Echeveria 2. 
This 12x16 oil on panel is Echeveria 3.

These siblings grew up together in the same garden. As I painted them simultaneously I became a little worried about the family relations. It seemed early on that the big sister, Echeveria 2, was very outgoing and assertive, with a "look at me" streak a mile wide. Her quiet little sister, Echeveria 3, was so retiring that I foresaw problems in their future.

Imagine my delight when I found that they had found balance when I wrapped up the paintings. Instead of becoming bossy and domineering, #2 had mellowed with age, while still retaining her beautiful depth and range, and her dramatic flare. Mousy #3 had come into her own with the passage of time ( and brush) and surprised us all when she applied her bold lipstick.


Tonal under painting for #2

#2's bold teen years

Tonal underpainting for #3
#3's quiet phase

OK, perhaps I'm spending a little too much time alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment