Monday, June 22, 2015

Brilliant Disks


Brilliant Disks
18x24 oil on panel

A couple of years ago I painted a small version of this image that I really liked. As my brother took it home, he told me that he really looked forward to seeing me do it in a larger scale. When I was looking for a few images to paint in a large format recently, his words came floating back to me.

 I'm really glad for his advice, this painting leapt off my brush like it had been just itching to be big all along! 

The burnt sienna value drawing/underpainting


The very start of laying in color over the value drawing.  


The first layer of all color completed. Now I let it dry fully before beginning to make all the refinements and adjustments it calls for. 


Several days into the process of defining the way sunlight and shadow weave the gorgeous leaves of this plant together into a dramatic composition.

The final, completed image is at the top of the post.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful… you are an ambitious and brave painter, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete