Friday, December 5, 2014

Catching The Sun


This 8x10 oil on panel just really wanted to painted. It jumped off my brush so eagerly that I felt like an innocent bystander! I stopped the action long enough to snap a few photos along the way.


After toning the panel with a little Burnt Sienna, I made a quick line drawing placing the elements.
Can you see how eager the values were to get put down? They already leapt into the upper left corner!


I then brushed in the rest of the darks and lifted the lights by rubbing the panel 
with paper towels and Qtips dipped in solvent. 


 Next I moved to developing the color. I try to remain true to the tonal pattern I've established in my value study. I began by putting in the vivid colors that made this composition particularly interesting.


Then I moved to the more subtle colors in the greenery.


And I continued to make the decisions of warm and cool, light and dark 
that give the painting form, depth and temperature.


After letting the painting dry for several days I came back to it and refined the details, pushed the darks where I wanted more depth, and brought up the high lights.

Hope you like it, I had a ball painting it!


No comments:

Post a Comment